A note from the IRC staff
First, we'd like to say thank you to everyone who has helped grow indiana rallycross into what it has become. We are striving to host the best rallycross events in the mid west, and last year our tracks were longer, we had more competitors, and received more coverage than any other amateur rally organization in a 1000 mile radius. (For a highlight of our 2013 season, read this article written by our resident photographer Doug Dienelt)
We were not without our growing pains though, we struggled at times running events and trying to keep everyone safe, happy, and keep our own sanity in the process. We appreciate all the help and patience that everyone offered last year.
We will be making a few changes this year to hopefully improve everyone's experience, these include:
1. Streamlined courses - due to the size of our tracks and the limited number of course workers we had frequent delays due to cone penalties. We'll be changing the way we layout courses to reduce (or remove completely) the number of cones getting knocked down and racers going off course. The fewer delays we have should have the by product of increased seat time for everyone.
2. New race types - Night races, dirt drags, and multi day or stage events are just a few or things we're looking into doing this year to make our events even more epic.
3. Better time management and communication with racers, and stronger enforcement of penalties for racers who are late or don't help - We'll need everyone's help with this one, but we'll have a few new processes in place this year to speed up how quickly we start racing in the morning and switch between run groups. We want everyone to get as much seat time as possible.
4. Changes in the way we group our car classes - we never could have imagined the wide range in driver experience and car modifications that we saw last year. This year we'll take that in mind to make the classes more evenly distributed to increase compassion.
5. We'll be asking for more volunteers before and after each race - It's hard running these events with a staff of just 5 people. Volunteers who help us setup, run the race, or clean up will be given additional access to the track or other benefits.
6. Entry Fees - hate to say it, but we'll be raising our rates to $80 this year. It is not possible to execute our mission of providing the best possible events if we can't buy the right equipment or get the best venues. We're a non profit group and eve dollar you pay goes into making these the best races around.
7. Memberships - we plan on offering a yearly IRC membership that will give all members reduced entry fees and access to private races and practice days.
8. Zero Tolerance for anyone breaking the rules - we pride ourselves on having as few rules as possible to make sure everyone can focus on having a good time, however the few rules we do have in place are there because of your safety and out of the respect of the property owners who are kind enough to let us race on their land. Remember that each and everyone of us is an ambassador to the local communities for the sport of rallycross. It is hard enough as it is to convince land owners to let us race on their property, and if they see us out there being disrespecting the property, breaking laws, or posing a safety risk, they are not going to want us coming back.
These are just a few of the changes in store for this year, and we'll be looking to each of our competitors and spectators to work with us and communicate back to us what works and what doesn't work to help us make life epic at each race.
Please feel free to contact us at any point at IndianaRallycross@gmail.com